In this post we are going to look at the best cat water fountain 2020. The problem with cats is they do not posses the protective instinct to feel thirsty. This low thirst drive is dangerous as it could put them at risk of dehydration and urinary related issues. It's important to ensure your cat is hydrated, but how do you go about this if your cat isn't drinking enough?
Cats have little to no interest in drinking from stagnant water sources so you will need other ways to entice them to drink. The best way to go about this is with cat water fountains. Your kitty will find the flowing water a lot more appealing to drink than still water inside of a cat water bowl.
The problem you may have is with knowing which cat water fountain to choose from with so many different models and variations available on the market. For this reason we have looked at many different cat fountains and compiled a list based on quality, features, and Amazon reviews.
We have also broke it down into different categories for the different types of cat water fountain available.
Best Overall Cat Water Fountain
Veken Automatic Pet Fountain
- 2.5-litre capacity
- Ultra quiet pump with low consumption
- Three flow modes
- Triple filtration system with replaceable filters
- BPA free
Many cat fountains available on the market include some kind of filtration system. The triple filtration included on the Veken Automatic Pet Fountain is by far one of the best. The water is kept fresh inside the system for an extended period with layers of cotton, activated carbon, and ion exchange resin.
The actual water flow can also be customized with bubble, waterfall, and stream modes available. With all cats being unique with different personalities, try the different settings and see which one works best for your cat.
Not only does the Veken hold 84 ounces of water but it also runs very quietly.
Best Budget Buy Cat Water Fountain
Aspen Pet Auto Gravity Waterer
- Large capacity (4 gallon)
- Simple design
- Spill-resistant bowl
- Automatic refill
- Gravity flow technology
You usually get what you pay for in terms of quality. This means if you spend more money on a product, it's generally better quality and will last longer. When it comes to a cat water fountain, some of the high-end models can be a bit pricey. The Aspen Pet Auto Gravity Waterer enables you to get quality at a budget price.
Available in different sizes, even the largest four gallon capacity option will cost you just over $20. Although it doesn't contain many of the features of some of the other cat water fountains, it still does the important job of keeping your cat hydrated.
It has a simple design which features a spill-resistant bowl and bottle. Although some users have reported issues with some of the design features and the screw off top. You can check the reviews on Amazon for full details.
The slow water dispenser features combined with the large capacity of the clear bowl means prolonged time between refills. The design also makes the weight evenly distributed to prevent it from toppling over or causing accidents.
Best Indoor Cat Water Fountain
PetSafe Drinkwell Water Fountain
- 168 ounce capacity
- BPA free
- Adjustable water stream
- Replaceable carbon filters
- Dishwasher safe
- Free-falling stream
If you are looking for a quality cat water fountain with a large water capacity, then the PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum is what you will need. Not only is it ideal for multiple pets because of it's large 168 oz capacity, but it also features a free-falling stream. You can also adjust the flow and customize to your pets need.
A replaceable carbon filter can be found inside the fountain which keeps the water fresh by removing unpleasant odors. These features will entice your pet to drink more water and keep them hydrated. The water fountain can also be cleaned very easily due to it's BPA-free materials. It can even be placed in your dishwasher.
Best Outdoor Cat Water Fountain
PetSafe Drinkwell Indoor/Outdoor
- Large 450 oz capacity
- Replaceable carbon water filter
- High sides to reduce spilling
- Can be used outdoors
The PetSafe Drinkwell is an outdoor fountain which features a free-falling water stream and a large 3.5 gallon fresh, filtered water capacity. This makes it great for pets of all sizes and even multiple pets. The product is made of high-impact UV-resistant plastic which means is is very durable and perfect for outdoors.
Waterfall Design Cat Water Fountains
Cat Water Fountain Stainless Steel 81 oz / 2.4L Auto Power Off
- Smart light indicator and auto power off pump
- Stainless steel top
- Circulating system
- 360° multi-directional streams
- BPA free cat fountain
A high grade stainless steel top means the Cat Water Fountain is long lasting and easy to clean. It features a smart light indicator and auto off pump with transparent water level window and an LED light which reminds you when to add water.
The fountain provides fresh clean water for your kitty by using a circulating system with a replaceable charcoal filter which removes dirt and food particles. It's 360° multi-streams not only aerate the water for added oxygen, it also looks more appealing to your cat which does a great job of keeping your cat hydrated.
Mospro Pet Water Fountain Cat Water Dispenser
- 2-liter water capacity
- Replaceable activated carbon filters
- Three water flow settings
- BPA antibacterial PP resin construction
- Water circulation system
This cat water fountain by Mospro has a large 2-liter water capacity and features BPA free, non-toxic antibacterial PP resin. The three water flow settings included on the dispenser ensures your cat will be hydrated by providing fresh, clean water for longer periods.
isYoung Cat Fountain LED Pet Water Fountain
- 56 oz water capacity
- Replaceable carbon filter
- Quick-release components
- 3 different water flow settings
- 360° drinking surface
The isYoung Cat Fountain looks similar to other products on the market but provides three different methods of fluids.
1. A flower waterfall
2. A gentle fountain
3. A combination of the above
This is a great variety of options to keep your cat intrigued and more importantly, keeping them hydrated throughout the day. The isYoung also comes with quick-release parts which makes the cleaning process very easy.
Cat Mate Pet Fountain - 70 Fluid oz
- 3-level drinking station
- Anti-splash ramps
- 70 oz (3-litre) capacity
- Adjustable water flow mechanism
- 3-year guarantee
- Polymer carbon filter
The Cat Mate Pet Fountain uses just 2 watts of power to pump 70 oz of fresh water around. Not only is this good for your cats but it's also good for your electric bill. You will only have to replace the water roughly around once per week, the filter once every month, and it can be placed in the dishwasher. This makes the maintenance very easy.
The 3 level design of this water fountain gives your cat a choice of where to drink from and keeps them intrigued. The isolated pump means very quiet operation which is great for inside your home and will also not frighten your cat. To give you piece of mind, the cat mate fountain also comes with a 3-year guarantee if you are unhappy with the product.
Gravity Flow Cat Water Fountains
Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer w/ Microban
- Includes a water filtration system
- Automatic refill
- 4 size options
- 3 color choices
The Petmate Replendish uses gravity and a filtration system to provide a steady supply of clean fresh water for your cat. The charcoal filter helps to remove sediment and chlorine providing tastier water which increases the odds of keeping your kitty hydrated.
Not only does it come in the choice of a four gallon water tank which means less maintenance, but it's also very affordable! At the time of writing this, the Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer currently has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon along with well over 10k reviews.
It may not be the prettiest looking cat water fountain, but if you want a top quality, reliable, affordable fountain for your cat, this is a great option.
VERGOODR Healthy Pet Water Dispenser Station
- Automatic dispenser
- Large 1 gallon capacity
- pp plastic material
- Spring mouth design prevents leaks
The VERGOODR Healthy Pet Water Dispenser Station is another great budget water fountain. It features an automatic dispenser to provide fresh water, with a locking system to prevent overflow. The large capacity one gallon water tank means less maintenance keep refilling, and is easy to use.
Aspen Pet Lebistro Gravity Waterer
- Large 4 litre capacity
- Gravity flow technology
- Hand washing only
- Easy disassembly of the bottle
The large 4 litre capacity tank dispenses water slowly which prolongs time between refills and means you will never have to worry about you cat becoming dehydrated. The design also has safety in mind with a stable, twist lock base to prevent tipping, and spill-resistant lip on the water bowl to keep floors dry and safe.
PetSafe Healthy Cat Water Station
- Elegant eye-catching design
- Lock-in water reservoir constructed of BPA- free plastic
- Dishwasher safe
- Stainless steel removable drinking bowl
- Large capacity
Coming in 3 different size variants, the PetSafe Healthy Cat Water Station features a fully-lockable reservois and high grade stainless steel removable bowl. Not only does it have a great design but it also comes with a unique control valve which prevents spilling. The water station is also available in small (64 ounce), medium (128 ounce), and large (320 ounce) variants.
Circulation Design Cat Water Fountains
Honeyguardain W18 Automatic Pet Water Fountain
- 3 modes: Infrared induction, continues mode, and intermittence mode
- Large 2L capacity
- Easy to disassemble
- 12-month warranty
- Pack of 3 carbon filters
The Honeyguardian W18 is a great design which features 3 different modes:
- Infrared induction: Infrared sensor detects when your cat is within 1.5 meters and then starts dispensing water.
- Continues mode: Water keeps dispensing for 24 hours.
- Intermittence mode: Water dispenses for 1 hour and then stops for 30 minutes.
Pioneer Pet Raindrop Stainless Steel Fountain
- 60 oz and 96 oz capacity
- Stainless-steel Circulating design
- Adjustable flow switch
- Replaceable charcoal filter
- Dishwasher safe
The Pioneer Pet Fountain is easy to use and easy to clean due to it's simple two piece construction. Not only does the modern design look fantastic, but the stainless steel bowl keeps the water fresh and clean, and will prevent bacterial infection.
An adjustable flow switch means you can adjust the flow of the water to suite your cats needs. Available in 60 oz and 90 oz capacity along with a charcoal filter ensure clean fresh water which will keep your cat hydrated.
Ceramic Cat Water Fountains
IPETTIE Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain
- 2.1L capacity
- Very low noise and power consumption
- Dual filtration system
- Easy to clean and disassemble
- Triple free-fall stream
- Beautiful lotus design
The IPETTIE Tritone Cat Drinking Fountain is a beautiful lotus design with a 2.1L capacity and featuring a triple free-falling stream. The charcoal and carbon filter removes bad odors whilst the foam pump prevents debris such as pet hair which is a common problem with some other cat fountains.
The IPETTIE Tritone is also non-toxic and eco-friendly which runs ultra-quietly which prevents scaring your kitty. It uses low energy consumption running at just 2 watts which will not put a huge dent in your electric bill.
Petsafe Drinkwell Pagoda Ceramic Pet Fountain
- 70 oz water capacity
- dual free-falling streams
- 2 bowl levels
- Hygienic ceramic design
- Dishwasher safe
- Replaceable carbon water filter
The dual free-falling stream and 2 bowl level design of this water fountain encourages your cat to drink more. The constant water circulation prevents and build up of bacteria, while the filters help to remove bad tastes and odors which provides your cat with fresh tasty water.
Important Features To Consider
Before purchasing a cat water fountain, here are some things you will need to take into consideration.
- Size: You need to make sure you get a fountain with the appropriate water capacity to suite the size of your cat. For example if you have a large cat or multiple cats, you will need a fountain with a large tank capacity.
- Materials: As you may have noticed from the featured products above, cat water fountains are available in different materials such as stainless steel, plastic, and ceramic. Be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of each one depending on your cat and where you are going to place it.
- Filters: Filters are replaceable and do the job of purifying the water and removes any debris such as hair and dirt. They also eliminate bad odors and chemicals which keeps the water fresh and tastes great for your cat.
- Pumps: If the water fountain will be inside your house, make sure you look for ones with a quiet pump operation. Not only is this good for you but it also ensures that it will not frighten your cat. You should also look out for ones that are low-voltage which will consume less energy.
- Color / Design: You may want to choose a color that looks great with your interior. More importantly, most cats are very picky so you may have to experiment with the color to see which ones they take to. Fountains also come in a variety of designs with multiple levels and different ways of dispensing the water.
How Do Water Fountains Benefit Your Cat?
Most cat owners will think that a cat fountain is just a luxury item, but this is far from the truth. Here's why you should consider investing in a cat water fountain.
- Cats don't enjoy drinking from stagnant water sources which leads them to become dehydrated. They find running water a lot more appealing.
- Running water is also cleaner which reduces the chances of your cat contracting diseases.
- Getting a water water with a large capacity means less maintenance and refills. This ensures that your cat will never run out of water and keep them hydrated.
- A hydrated cat will eliminate and reduce issues such as kidney problems and urinary tract infections.
- They are convenient for both you and your cat.
Maintaining Your Cat Water Fountain
Each fountain is different when it comes to maintenance but some general rules do apply which makes it pretty straightforward. The reason for regular cleaning is prevent the build up of any bacteria.
Changing the carbon filter every month or two will prevent harmful chemicals and ensure the water is purified. The water's circulation process can also be slowed over time due to a clogged fountain. It's important to keep this clean to prevent any bacteria and fungi. The fountain should be dismantled and thoroughly cleaned every now and again.
As each cat water fountain is different, it's best to always follow the manufacturer instructions for the individual product.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is a cat water fountain and how does it work?
A: A cat fountain provides fresh clean water and the variations of streams and flowing water will spark curiosity which will motivate your cat to drink more water.
Q: Are water fountains safe for cats?
A: Water fountains are a lot more safe and hygienic than a conventional cat water bowl. The reason for this being that the components found inside a water fountain such as filters and pumps provide cleaner fresher water and prevent the growth of bacteria.
Q: Do cats like running water?
A: Due to a cats predatory instincts they will be more curious and drawn to running water. The problem with still water in a bowl is cats can't really see it that well. They will also be suspicious of water in a bowl due to their natural instincts telling them that standing water isn't safe to drink.
Q: How do I get my cat to drink from a water fountain?
A: Although the cat water fountains spark curiosity and encourage your cat to drink more, you will still need to follow some simple guidelines.
- Put the fountain in your cat's favorite part of the house which will help create a safe and familiar environment.
- Don't put the fountain next to where your cat eats.
- Don't place the fountain next to your cats litter box.
- Allow your cat to get used to the fountain first before you turn it on. Turn it on once or twice a week for short periods and progressively build up the time.